The Commercial Vehicle Safety Alliance (CVSA) is hosting Operation Safe Driver Week Oct. 15-21, 2017. During this time each year, law enforcement agencies across the United States engage in heightened traffic safety enforcement and education aimed at combating unsafe driving behaviors by both commercial motor vehicle and passenger-vehicle drivers.
Last year, the top five warnings and citations issued to commercial motor vehicle drivers were:
- State and moving violations (56.7%)
- Speeding (19.6%)
- Failure to obey traffic control device (7.6%)
- Failing to use a seatbelt while operating the vehicle (7.1%)
- Using a handheld phone (2.4%)
The top five warnings and citations issued to private passenger-vehicle drivers were:
- Speeding (39.4%)
- State and local moving violations (37.1%)
- Failing to use a seat belt while operating the vehicle (11.7%)
- Failure to obey traffic control device (1.9%)
- Inattentive and/or careless driving (1.5%)
Operation Safe Driver Week is held each year because unsafe driver behaviors continue to be the leading cause of roadway crashes. The CVSA now offers an ‘Improving Driver Behaviors’ kit to help combat the above statistics. The kit includes complimentary presentations, videos and flyers to educate drivers about the rules of the road, distracted driving, defensive driving and more.
Don’t become another statistic! Be prepared and stay safe on roadways, next week and every week.